In light of continuing concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19 and recommendations regarding social responsibility during the outbreak, our offices will close to visitors effective Wednesday March 25, 2020 at 5PM until further notice. We are committed to serving the needs of our clients while maintaining a safe work environment for our employees. Our employees will continue to work remotely and will be available to you.
Clients who wish to send us information should do so through the client portal, mail or delivery services. For those who wish to drop off information, a secure drop box will be placed outside the front door of each office. Office personnel will monitor the drop box regularly. Additionally, if you have been notified that you have a package ready for pick up, please do so by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, or contact the office for alternative delivery plans.
TAX DEADLINE UPDATES
1. U.S. TREASURY POSTPONES FEDERAL TAX FILING DEADLINE
On March 20 Mnuchin tweeted “At [President Trump’s] direction, we are moving Tax Day from April 15 to July 15. All taxpayers and businesses will have this additional time to file and make payments without interest or penalties”..
2. VIRGINIA STATE TAX CHANGES
On March 19, 2020, Governor Northam announced tax changes to assist Virginia residents and businesses in response to the economic downturn resulting from the Coronavirus.
Any income tax payments due during the period from April 1, 2020 to June 1, 2020 can now be submitted to the Department of Taxation (“the Department) at any time on or before June 1, 2020 without penalty. However, interest will still apply.
3. OTHER STATE TAX CHANGES
Each state has had a different response to changing their filing deadlines. If you have state filing obligations, outside of Virginia, please contact us for more detailed information about your specific filing requirements.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU?
- If you still need to send in your tax documents please do so promptly
- You may send documents to us:
- Please send in your forms as soon as you can, as state deadlines can be earlier
- Electronic signature of documents is available using DocuSign. If you would like to update your e-file authorization preference to electronic signature, please contact Dana Roberts at email@example.com.
- Efile forms can be returned by fax or email:
- If using US mail, please be mindful how potential closures could affect delivery
- Via the secure drop box placed outside the front door of each office
To view other communications from the firm in relation to COVID-19, visit our blog.